The humble herb peppermint has been used for centuries in medicine and flavouring. This issue, we honour this often overlooked plant with a dedication of DIY recipes – some tasty treats for you to try, as well as a few DIY beauty hacks. Enjoy!
PEPPERMINT OREO BALLS
- Oreos (about 36 cookies)
- Cream Cheese – 8 oz.(softened)
- 1/2 tsp. Peppermint Extract
- Hershey’s Kisses – Peppermint
- Milk Or White Chocolate
- Candy Canes (Crushed)
- Take the cream cheese out of the refrigerator and allow it to come to room temperature.
- Take half the Oreos and blend them until they are fine crumbs. Do the same for the other half.
- Now add the Oreo crumbs, cream cheese and peppermint extract together in a mixing bowl. Blend them till smooth but make sure they are of a similar consistency to fudge – not too thin.
- Using a spoon or cookie scoop, form the Oreo balls. Then, stuff them with a Peppermint Kiss and roll each one up.
- Place them on a baking sheet and put them in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, put the candy canes in a zip lock bag then cover with a cloth and crush the canes into small pieces, using a rolling pin.
- 20 minutes later, start melting the milk/white chocolate in a double boiler on a low heat. Stir a little till completely melted.
- Take out the balls and dip them into the chocolate. Carefully take them out using chopstick, toothpick or fork. Let it sit for a minute and then sprinkle with the crushed candy cane.
- Allow to chill at room temperature until hard, and then store in the fridge.
WHITE CHOCOLATE-AND-PEPPERMINT BLONDIES
- Unsalted Butter (Melted) -3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks)
- Granulated Sugar – 3/4 Cup
- Packed Light Brown Sugar -2/3 Cup
- Large Eggs (Room Temperature) – 3 Eggs
- Pure Vanilla Extract – 2 Tsp.
- Pure Peppermint Extract – 1/4 Tsp.
- All-Purpose Flour (Spooned And Leveled) – 2 2/3 C.
- Baking Powder – 3/4 Tsp.
- Kosher Salt – 1/4 Tsp.
- White Chocolate (Coarsely Chopped) – 1 1/2 Cup
- Cream Cheese – 16 Oz.
- Powdered Sugar – 1 Cup.
s (Crushed) – 3/4 Cup
- Baking Pan – 13 by 9 inch
- Parchment Paper
- Preheat the oven to 320°F.
- Combine butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, eggs, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and peppermint together in one bowl. Add flour, baking powder, and salt together in another bowl.
- Now mix both the flour and butter mixture together till smooth, then stir in the
- Pour and spread the batter in the pan, which should be greased with a little butter.
- Bake the mixture till golden brown for 30 to 35 minutes. Use a toothpick to check whether cooked or not – if it comes out clean in the centre, that means it is cooked.
- Blend the cream cheese and sugar along with 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract until light and fluffy.
- Pour the cream onto the blondies and spread evenly. Then sprinkle with peppermint. Chill the blondies in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Cut and serve with hot chocolate.
WHITE CHOCOLATE PEPPERMINT PATTIES
- Icing Sugar – 4 Cups
- Unsalted Butter (Room Temperature) -1/4 Cup (1/2 Sticks)
- Heavy Cream – 1/4 Cup
- Pure Peppermint Extract – 1 1/2 Tsp.
- Pure Vanilla Extract -1/2 Tsp.
- Kosher Salt – 1/2 Tsp.
- White Chocolate (Chopped) – 12 Oz.
- Solid Coconut Oil – 2 Tbsp.
- Peppermints (Crushed), for garnish
- Mix the icing sugar, butter, cream, peppermint extract, vanilla extract, and salt together till smooth.
- Then roll the mixture into balls and place them on parchment paper. Gently flatten them into ¼ inch thick disks.
- Cover them and freeze for about 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, mix the chocolate and coconut oil. Then, melt the chocolate and coconut oil in a bowl in the microwave, for 30 seconds (make sure you stir the mixture every 10 seconds).
- Next, dip the peppermint disks into the melted chocolate mixture and sprinkle with crushed peppermint.
- Allow to chill for 15- 20 minutes, then serve. (You can also store these for up to a week in an air tight container.)