It is a broad domain associated with the study of the ocean floor. It draws from a wide number of fields including geophysics, geochemistry, sedimentology and paleontology to make investigations about the ocean floor and the coastal zone.
It is the scientific study of the composition, texture, and structure of rocks It deals with their occurrence and distribution as a result of geologic processes and physicochemical conditions.
It involves the physical and chemical analysis and classification of minerals, mineral deposits, and precious stones. This work aids in the classification of land for residential, industrial and agricultural use.
This field deals with the assessment and analysis of water sources, identification of water pollution threats, and providing advice for construction of water reservoirs.
This field is concerned with the study of the properties of water. Hydrologists identify and analyze water sources to meet the needs of present and future generations. Their work is specially important in India, with the scarcity of water resources.
The field deals with the study of fossils found in geological formations, in order to trace the evolution of animal and plant life, and makes estimates about their age.
It involves locating earthquakes and earthquake faults using geological data. Seismologists engage in in-depth study of earthquakes and the structure of the earth.
|Stream||Graduation||After Graduation||After Post Graduation|
|Clear Class XII in Science stream||Pursue B.Sc. Geology for 3 years||Pursue M.Sc. Geology/ Applied Geology/ M.Tech Geophysics for 2 years||Ph.D. for 2-3 years|
|Clear Class XII in Science Stream||Pursue Integrated graduation and post-graduation courses M.Sc. Geophysics/ Applied Geology/ M.Tech. Geology for 5 years||–||Ph.D. for 2-3 years|
- Most college have eligibility criteria of minimum 50% aggregate marks in Class XII with Science Stream.
- Science is a mandatory subject in Class XII.
- Geology has specialisation in varieties of disciplines like pedology, volcanology, metamorphic petrology, geochemistry and geophysics.
[/td_block_text_with_title][td_block_text_with_title custom_title=”WORK DESCRIPTION” header_color=”#dd3333″ separator=”” tdc_css=””]
- Collect information in the field, from seismic data and other sources
- Monitor the acquisition of data to ensure consistent quality
- Interpret data to determine sub-surface geology and the economic importance of natural resources
- Develop geological models of the earth’s sub-surface to understand the geological structure, rock characteristics and the likely distribution of oil/gas/mineral-bearing strata
- Assess the potential quality of minerals and hydrocarbon resources
- Collaborate with drilling engineers at drilling sites on the basis of the interpretation of the data and models developed
- Produce and present geological maps and reports
- Perform detailed geological risk analysis of proposed exploration targets
- Plan and undertake an exploration drilling programme after collecting and interpreting all available data