Leather designers work in apparel manufacturing industry to amalgamate accessories like leather belts, shoes and bags that best suit the garment and complete the look.
Leather designers tie up with wholesalers to mass produce/ mass retail their products. They design a variety of accessories that pair up with garments to complete the look.
Television and Film Industry
Celebrated leather designers work in the film and television industry to design and create custom pieces for actors and actresses playing various roles. They study the plot of the film and understand the characters.
Leather accessory designing
Accessory designers specializing in leather accessories make use of leather to design and then create designs that complement garments. This is a relatively new take in accessory designing and often encompass belts and bands.
Leather designers work in the chemical industry in research and development to understand and innovate leather products.
Leather designers work in engineering sector to design components that find use in engineering and manufacturing context.
Freelance leather designing
Freelancers in leather designing either create their own brand of accessories or take up projects independently with other designers to design and create pieces that complement the apparel to be worn with it.
|Stream||Graduation||After Graduation||After Post Graduation|
|Pass Class XII in Science Stream||Pursue B.Sc. Fashion Designing/ B. Des. Leather Design/ B. Tech in Leather Technology for 3- 4 years||Pursue M. Des. (Master of Design)/ M. Tech in Leather Technology for 2 years||–|
|Pass Class XII in Science Stream||Pursue Diploma in Leather Designing/ Diploma in Leather Goods and Accessories Design for 1 year||Pursue PG Diploma in Leather Goods & Accessories Design||–|
|Pass Class XII in Science Stream||Pursue B.Sc. Fashion Designing/ B. Des. Leather Design/ B. Tech in Leather Technology for 3- 4 years||Study Abroad and Pursue Footwear Pattern Making and Prototyping Course/ Footwear Collection Design and Development Course/ Masters in Fashion Design/ PG Diploma in footwear science for 1- 2 years||–|
- Opting for Chemistry in class 12 is favourable.
- Practical and industrial experience is a must. This can be achieved via internships or upon getting a job.
[/td_block_text_with_title][td_block_text_with_title custom_title=”WORK DESCRIPTION” header_color=”#dd3333″ separator=”” tdc_css=””]
- Designing leather products or cloth either on paper or computer
- Manufacturing of the final product as designed through various steps like cutting, colouring, stitching, polishing, etc
- Collecting and examining leather samples
- Managing and coordinating with the production of designs/ products
- Staying abreast of the latest trends or fashion, product and techniques
- Meeting and consulting clients and dealers to discuss orders
- Working within the budget defined by client/ organization
- Supervise workers and staff in the team