Hospital / Clinic
In the hospital setting they observe patients doing tasks, ask them questions to understand them better, review their medical history and design programs to improve their conditions.
Charities or voluntary organizations
The job profile of an occupational therapist in an NGO include helping the clients to manage their daily activities. They make them independent. Clients in the NGO may have mental, physical or social difficulties.
Occupational therapists in prisons plan various activities for the prisoners in order to teach them job skills to maximum inmates inside a correctional facility. They assist with the release planning of inmates through a re-entry program. This assures success in living and working environment after being incarcerated.
Companies and Businesses
They analyze and study the working environment in the organizations. They develop better working conditions and methodologies for the employees.
Social Services Departments
They help to regain skills that patients have lost because of illness or disability. They identify equipment and home adaptations to help the patients with everyday activities.
They work in special schools and work with the students to improve their performance. They are concerned with understanding student’s skills and abilities and the expectations placed on him/her in the school setting.
They practicing privately within their own clinic.
|Stream||Graduation||After Graduation||After Post Graduation|
|Clear Class XII with Science Stream with Biology||Pursue Bachelor in Occupational Therapy for 4.5 years (4 years study + 6 months internship)||Pursue Masters in Occupational Therapy for 2-3 years||Pursue Doctorate in Occupational Therapy for 2 years|
- Most college have eligibility criteria of minimum 50% aggregate marks in Class XII / and some of minimum 60%.
- Must have passed class 12thor senior secondary examination with at least 50% marks including English.
- Some colleges/ universities also have an age limit (17 at 31st December of the year of admission).
[/td_block_text_with_title][td_block_text_with_title custom_title=”WORK DESCRIPTION” header_color=”#dd3333″ separator=”” tdc_css=””]Occupational therapist helps in case of disabilities to independently manage their day to day tasks. Some of the key tasks they manage include:
- Advise on special equipment which can be used to assist in day to day activities
- Create recovery and rehabilitation programme to help in rebuilding skills and capabilities
- Train and mentor people with learning disabilities
- Liaison with doctors, patients family & medical support staff
- Train patient on soft skills such as anger & anxiety management
- Build strong relationship and trust with patients and concerned stakeholders